Mutton Kosha is a very popular recipe in Bengal where mutton is marinating with curd, spices and mustard oil. It is prepared by slow-cooking process over the low heat for long time which gives a rich and flavourful gravy. It is a perfect and favourite meal in every Bengali household. It is also great for weekend lunch or dinner.
Mutton Kosha Recipe | Bengali Mutton Kosha | Mutton Curry
Mutton Kosha is a very popular recipe in Bengal where mutton is marinating with curd, spices and mustard oil. It is prepared by slow-cooking process over the low heat for long time which gives a rich and flavourful gravy.
For Marinating -
For Making Curry-
At first, make a smooth paste with onion, ginger, garlic and dry red chili.
Clean the mutton pieces thoroughly in the running water.Average sized mutton pieces shall be used for making Mutton Kosha. It is recommended not to use boneless. The fat in the mutton shall be removed properly.
Then marinate mutton pieces with onion-ginger-garlic-red chili paste, salt, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, curd, mustard oil and keep it aside for at least 5 hrs.Overnight marination gives a better result.
Making Mutton Kosha
Heat oil in a kadai and add whole spices.
When it sizzles, add sliced onion and fry until it turns golden brown. Then remove it on a plate and keep aside for later use.
Now add marinated mutton pieces with masala.
Cover the kadai and fry for 10 mins on the low flame until mutton pieces become tender. Flip mutton pieces time to time for avoiding burnt.
Then add curd and cook for 10 mins again.
Now add fried onion and mix well.
Cook for another 5 mins on the low flame.
Now it is ready to serve and serve with any main dish of your choice. Enjoy!
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 183.37
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 9.06g14%
- Saturated Fat 2.24g12%
- Cholesterol 18.81mg7%
- Sodium 450.43mg19%
- Total Carbohydrate 19.92g7%
- Dietary Fiber 3.98g16%
- Sugars 6.63g
- Protein 8.27g17%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only and not certified by the nutritionist or registered dietitian. Any nutritional information on this site should only be used as a general guideline. Statements within this site have not been evaluated or approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
- Cook this recipe at slow cooking method.
- Use fresh ingredients for better taste.
- After cooking, wait for at least 15 minutes for better taste.